Curfew lifted, bandh suspended in Kokrajhar for five hours
Kokrajhar: The Bodoland Peoples` Front on Friday suspended its indefinite bandh, called to protest arrest of its MLA Pradip Brahma, for five hours following the lifting of curfew for the same period.
The indefinite curfew, imposed since 5 AM yesterday, was lifted by Kokrajhar district administration from 4 PM to 9 PM to allow people to buy their essentials, official sources said.
There is, however, restriction on assembly of five or more people at a spot, sources added.
The BPF, which had earlier stated that it would continue its indefinite bandh till the indefinite curfew was on, also immediately suspended the bandh for a similar period.
BPF Chief Hagrama Mohilary had earlier said Brahma might have been arrested on the basis of allegations made by a section of society but there was no violence or major incidents to justify imposition of curfew.
The imposition of curfew following Brahma`s arrest yesterday indicates that the "district administration does not want the situation to return to normal," said Mohilary, who is also the head of Bodoland Territorial Council.
The bandh coupled by the curfew had brought life in the entire Kokrajhar district to a total stand-still with all shops, educational institutions and commercial establishments closed. Vehicles remained off the roads.
More than 80 persons have lost their lives and four lakh were rendered homeless in the violence in lower Assam districts of Kokrajhar, Dhubri, Chirang, Bongaigaon and Baksa.
Meanwhile, reports said Brahma has been admitted to the Kokrajhar Civil Hospital after he complained of discomfort and is undergoing treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured