Curfew relaxed for eight hours in Kokrajhar
Guwahati: Amidst army flag march, curfew was relaxed for eight hours on Monday in most part of the toruble-torn Kokrajhar district with no fresh incident of violence reported during the past 48 hours, official sources said.
Curfew was relaxed from 8 am to 4 pm, but for devotees performing `Chhat Puja`, it was further relaxed for two hours till 6 pm.
Indefinite curfew continued in nine villages, including five under Kokrajhar and four under Gossaigaon sub-divisions of the district, as the areas had been identified as "vulnerable" by security forces, the sources said.
Army continued to stage a flag march in Kokrajhar and tight security was being maintained in the four Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts (BTAD).
Police and paramilitary forces were conducting round the clock patrolling and maintaining a strict vigil to prevent any untoward incident.
More than 65 persons have been taken into custody in connection with the incidents of violence since November 10 after a lull of nearly three months which had claimed 10 lives in BTAD area.
Meanwhile, police remand of the executive member of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) Monokumar Brahma alias Jalja, ended today and he was sent to judicial custody. Due to ill-health, he was admitted to the Kokrajhar Civil Hospital.
Earlier, four BTAD districts and Dhubri were affected by violent conflits between the Bodos and the minorities leaving 90 people dead and more than 4.80 lakh homeless in July-August this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview