Curfew relaxed in Assam`s Dhubri town
Dhubri: Curfew imposed in Assam`s Dhubri town following clashes was on Friday relaxed for seven hours with authorities describing the situation as being under control.
With no fresh incident being reported following violence on Wednesday and in view of Eid-ul-Zoha tomorrow, the Dhubri district administration relaxed the prohibitory order from 9 AM to 4 PM.
Shops, markets, offices and banks remained open during the curfew relaxation period. However, educational institutions were closed because of Durga Puja vacation.
In view of tomorrow`s festival, security measures have been augmented in vulnerable areas, official sources said.
Curfew was imposed in the district headquarters after three persons were injured in clashes between two groups in IG road area in this town.
The incident took place when a group of people were returning after immersing idols of Goddess Durga in the Brahmaputra, the sources said. The situation had turned tense after the stabbing of a Durga Puja pandal decorator by unidentified persons on Tuesday night in IG Road area.
IGP (Law and Order) AP Rout said, "There is no communal tension and the situation is totally under control. Rumours of communal tension are baseless. Eight people have been arrested."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail