Curfew relaxed in Rangiya; no new fresh incident of violence
Guwahati: Curfew in Rangiya sub-division of Kamrup Rural district was relaxed on Friday even as no incident of fresh violence was reported from any part of Assam.
"Curfew has been relaxed in Rangiya from 9 AM to 3 PM. The situation is under control," Assam Inspector General of Police (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi told PTI.
He said police and security forces are maintaining a strict vigil in Rangiya, as well as other trouble-torn areas of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa districts.
Shops and markets in Rangiya opened this morning after relaxation of the curfew.
Bishnoi said police fired rubber bullet yesterday evening at Tamulpur in Baksa district to control a violent mob.
"The mob was attempting to break into the Tamulpur police station and mild force had to be used to disperse them. However, there were no injuries," he said.
The mob had gathered to protest the detention of around 65 people who were allegedly involved in burning of a car, whose driver remain untraced.
Meanwhile, senior police and administration officials are camping at Rangiya to oversee the situation.
Local police said around 15 youths have been detained for interrogation. Some persons in the town had yesterday blocked the National Highway 31 and set fire to a bus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview