Curfew relaxed in Sualkuchi for ten hours
Sulakuchi/Guwahati: Curfew restrictions were relaxed for ten hours today in the silk town of Sualkuchi, where it was imposed following Saturday`s violent protests against synthetic silk.
The curfew was relaxed from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM by the district administration as the situation was limping back to normal and because of the Higher Secondary examinations, official sources said.
The restrictions had also been relaxed for three hours yesterday.
The Army was present in the town but did not conduct flag marches as the situation was calm, though the police and paramilitary forces were on patrol, the sources said.
Under Section 144 of the CrPC, Deputy Commissioner S K Roy prohibited the sale of Assamese attires made of genuine Assam Silk and imported Benarasi silk in the same shop from today in the district.
The silk clothes would have to be sold in separate shops with signboards clearly stating which variety was being stocked.
For protection of the local silk industry, the administration would also search for artificial silk clothes being sold as Muga and Paat silk.
The process for trademarking the Sualkuchi silk would also be initiated, they added.
The influential All Assam Students Union staged a demonstration demanding protection of the indigenous silk industry and extension of the ban on sale of Benarasi silk as Sualkuchi silk to the entire state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi