Curfew relaxed in Sualkuchi for ten hours
Sulakuchi/Guwahati: Curfew restrictions were relaxed for ten hours today in the silk town of Sualkuchi, where it was imposed following Saturday`s violent protests against synthetic silk.
The curfew was relaxed from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM by the district administration as the situation was limping back to normal and because of the Higher Secondary examinations, official sources said.
The restrictions had also been relaxed for three hours yesterday.
The Army was present in the town but did not conduct flag marches as the situation was calm, though the police and paramilitary forces were on patrol, the sources said.
Under Section 144 of the CrPC, Deputy Commissioner S K Roy prohibited the sale of Assamese attires made of genuine Assam Silk and imported Benarasi silk in the same shop from today in the district.
The silk clothes would have to be sold in separate shops with signboards clearly stating which variety was being stocked.
For protection of the local silk industry, the administration would also search for artificial silk clothes being sold as Muga and Paat silk.
The process for trademarking the Sualkuchi silk would also be initiated, they added.
The influential All Assam Students Union staged a demonstration demanding protection of the indigenous silk industry and extension of the ban on sale of Benarasi silk as Sualkuchi silk to the entire state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday