Curfew relaxed in Sualkuchi for ten hours
Sulakuchi/Guwahati: Curfew restrictions were relaxed for ten hours today in the silk town of Sualkuchi, where it was imposed following Saturday`s violent protests against synthetic silk.
The curfew was relaxed from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM by the district administration as the situation was limping back to normal and because of the Higher Secondary examinations, official sources said.
The restrictions had also been relaxed for three hours yesterday.
The Army was present in the town but did not conduct flag marches as the situation was calm, though the police and paramilitary forces were on patrol, the sources said.
Under Section 144 of the CrPC, Deputy Commissioner S K Roy prohibited the sale of Assamese attires made of genuine Assam Silk and imported Benarasi silk in the same shop from today in the district.
The silk clothes would have to be sold in separate shops with signboards clearly stating which variety was being stocked.
For protection of the local silk industry, the administration would also search for artificial silk clothes being sold as Muga and Paat silk.
The process for trademarking the Sualkuchi silk would also be initiated, they added.
The influential All Assam Students Union staged a demonstration demanding protection of the indigenous silk industry and extension of the ban on sale of Benarasi silk as Sualkuchi silk to the entire state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Sister aka stylist Rhea Kapoor speaks about Sonam's fashion secrets
- Overhaul Indian sports bodies and de-link from Political patronage to overcome Rio fiasco: CPI-M
- Fawad Khan has short yet pivotal role in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil': Karan Johar
- Looks like it takes a lot of men to doll up Sunny Leone- See pic
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health