Curfew relaxed in Sualkuchi for ten hours
Sulakuchi/Guwahati: Curfew restrictions were relaxed for ten hours today in the silk town of Sualkuchi, where it was imposed following Saturday`s violent protests against synthetic silk.
The curfew was relaxed from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM by the district administration as the situation was limping back to normal and because of the Higher Secondary examinations, official sources said.
The restrictions had also been relaxed for three hours yesterday.
The Army was present in the town but did not conduct flag marches as the situation was calm, though the police and paramilitary forces were on patrol, the sources said.
Under Section 144 of the CrPC, Deputy Commissioner S K Roy prohibited the sale of Assamese attires made of genuine Assam Silk and imported Benarasi silk in the same shop from today in the district.
The silk clothes would have to be sold in separate shops with signboards clearly stating which variety was being stocked.
For protection of the local silk industry, the administration would also search for artificial silk clothes being sold as Muga and Paat silk.
The process for trademarking the Sualkuchi silk would also be initiated, they added.
The influential All Assam Students Union staged a demonstration demanding protection of the indigenous silk industry and extension of the ban on sale of Benarasi silk as Sualkuchi silk to the entire state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...