Death of labourer triggers tension in Hailakandi
Karimganj: A tea garden labourer died allegedly after he was beaten up by a neighbour at Ramchandi tea estate in Assam`s Hailakandi district, triggering tension in the area.
According to police sources, Ram Charan Tanti of Ramchandi garden of Koya tea estate had borrowed Rs 800 from his neighbour Jabrul Islam a few months ago.
As Tanti was unable to return the amount within the promised time, Jabar had recently physically assaulted him causing him to suffer internal injury from the beating, his neighbourers told police.
He was found dead this morning after days of illness, the sources said.
As soon as the news of his death spread, infuriated workers of the tea garden did not join their duty today and instead held a protest demonstration demanding Jabar`s immediate arrest, they said.
This led to tension in and around the sensitive areas there prompting leaders of political parties, members of Zilla Parishads, Anchalik Parishads and Gaon Panchayats to rush to the tea garden and persuade the agitated workers to calm down and brought the situation under control, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Jabrul Islam has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter