Death of labourer triggers tension in Hailakandi
Karimganj: A tea garden labourer died allegedly after he was beaten up by a neighbour at Ramchandi tea estate in Assam`s Hailakandi district, triggering tension in the area.
According to police sources, Ram Charan Tanti of Ramchandi garden of Koya tea estate had borrowed Rs 800 from his neighbour Jabrul Islam a few months ago.
As Tanti was unable to return the amount within the promised time, Jabar had recently physically assaulted him causing him to suffer internal injury from the beating, his neighbourers told police.
He was found dead this morning after days of illness, the sources said.
As soon as the news of his death spread, infuriated workers of the tea garden did not join their duty today and instead held a protest demonstration demanding Jabar`s immediate arrest, they said.
This led to tension in and around the sensitive areas there prompting leaders of political parties, members of Zilla Parishads, Anchalik Parishads and Gaon Panchayats to rush to the tea garden and persuade the agitated workers to calm down and brought the situation under control, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Jabrul Islam has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read