Death of labourer triggers tension in Hailakandi
Karimganj: A tea garden labourer died allegedly after he was beaten up by a neighbour at Ramchandi tea estate in Assam`s Hailakandi district, triggering tension in the area.
According to police sources, Ram Charan Tanti of Ramchandi garden of Koya tea estate had borrowed Rs 800 from his neighbour Jabrul Islam a few months ago.
As Tanti was unable to return the amount within the promised time, Jabar had recently physically assaulted him causing him to suffer internal injury from the beating, his neighbourers told police.
He was found dead this morning after days of illness, the sources said.
As soon as the news of his death spread, infuriated workers of the tea garden did not join their duty today and instead held a protest demonstration demanding Jabar`s immediate arrest, they said.
This led to tension in and around the sensitive areas there prompting leaders of political parties, members of Zilla Parishads, Anchalik Parishads and Gaon Panchayats to rush to the tea garden and persuade the agitated workers to calm down and brought the situation under control, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Jabrul Islam has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC topper Tina Dabi's advice to girl students - Read
- Omar Abdullah rubbishes Mehbooba Mufti's claim, says ''she was aware of security encounter with Wani''
- Mainpuri Dalit couple murder: Akhilesh govt assures speedy justice to victim's kin
- Church attacker threatened France in new video
- Australian PM says won't back former leader Rudd for top UN job