Declare Assam flood a national calamity: AIUDF
Guwahati: Principal opposition party in Assam, All India United Democratic Front Wednesday called upon the Centre to declare flood in the state, a national calamity and also sought a financial package of Rs 10,000 crore for the affected people.
Hundreds of AIUDF activists, including party MLAs, held a demonstration in front of the Raj Bhavan here and submitted a memorandum to Governor J B Patnaik.
"Lakhs of people have been displaced in the floods and there has been huge loss to agricultural land. The Centre should immediately declare the Assam floods, a national calamity and declare a package of Rs 10,000 crore for the affected people," AIUDF General Secretary (Organisation) and MLA Aminul Islam told reporters here.
He accused the state government of not doing enough to help the flood affected people.
"Flood and erosion have been affecting the state for years but no steps have been taken," Islam said.
The party also demanded stern action against poaching of animals, including rhinos at the Kaziranga National Park.
"At the time when even people are not safe, what kind of help is the government expected to give for protection of animals," Islam said.
The memorandum also sought time-bound completion of the process for updating the National Register of Citizens.
"The NRC should be updated as per the Assam Accord of 1985. All the illegal immigrants who have come from across the border after March 25, 1971, should be identified and deported.
"However, at the same time, the government should ensure that genuine Indian citizens are not harassed in the name of religion or language," Islam added.
AIUDF MLAs, including Hafiz Bashir Ahmed Azmi, Gul Akhtara Begum, Abdul Rahim Kham, Swapan Kar and Sherman Ali participated in the demonstration.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India