Declare Assam flood as national calamity: BJP
Morigaon (Assam): BJP on Subday asked the union government to declare the Assam floods as a "national calamity."
A high-level BJP national delegation led by party General Secretary Vijay Goel today visited flood affected areas of Morigaon district in central Assam.
Speaking to PTI after the visit, Goel said all BJP-ruled states would provide assistance to the flood affected people of Assam.
"The Centre should immediately declare the Assam flood as a national calamity. The BJP will take up the issue at the national level," he said.
The BJP leader also blamed the state government of "remaining a mute spectator" when entire Assam was reeling under flood.
The team visited Mayong, Lahorighat and Bhuragaon in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal along with a likely 10-member cabinet to take oath today
- Know how long Sonu Nigam sang on the streets for the ‘beggar’ video
- Know what Irrfan Khan has to say about Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’
- Louis van Gaal axed by Manchester United as Jose Mourinho waits in wings
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today