Defeat divisive forces: Prakash Karat
Guwahati: The CPI(M) today called upon people in Assam to defeat "divisive forces" who are attempting to divide the society in the name of religion and ethnicity.
Addressing a public meeting at Bijni in Chirang district, CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat said that the recent incidents of violence in the Bodoland Territorial Autunomous Districts (BTAD) and adjoing areas had repurcussion throughout the country.
"The exodous of people of North-East origin from the southern states is a clear manifestation of this. This affects the working people the most. We must identify the forces of division and defeat their conspiracies," Karat said.
He admonished the state government for its failure in safeguarding the lives and properties of the people in lower Assam.
Critcising the policies of the central government, he said the CPI(M) will fight unitedly with other political parties to defeat the Cabinet`s recent decision to increase the FDI insurance and the pension bill.
During his visit, the CPI(M) leader also visited relief camps in the violence hit districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and neigbouring Bongaigaon and inaugurated distribution of relief materials to the affected people.
Karat interacted with the camp inmates and called upon the state government and the BTAD administration to take measures so that people can go back to their homes at the earliest.
He said CPI(M) is collecting funds throughout the country to provide some relief to the affected people.
"The West Bengal committee of the party is taking special steps so far as collection of funds for relief work is concerned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'