Demand in LS for creation of Bodoland state
New Delhi: A demand for creation of a
separate Bodoland state, carved out of Assam, was raised in
the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
Maintaining that the UPA-II has promised to create a
separate Telangana state, Independent member S K Bwiswmuthiary
demanded that the government take immediate measures for
creation of a separate Bodoland state in line with Telangana.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, he urged the entire
Parliament to support the demand of indigenous people for
creation of Bodoland within the constitutional framework.
"The UPA-II has announced a policy decision for creation
of separate states like Telangana. The demand for bringing
about a lasting solution to the Bodoland problem has been long
overdue and urgent steps should be taken to resolve this
issue," the Kokrajhar MP said.
CPI(M) member Mahendra Kumar Roy raised the issue of tea
garden workers in Siliguri who went on a three-day strike
recently to demand higher wages. He sought the intervention of
the Union Labour Ministry in the matter, saying no resolution
has been found despite negotiations.
Arjun Ram Meghwal (BJP) wanted central assistance in
creating mega food parks in Bikaner, while his party colleague
sought establishment of Kendriya Vidyalaya in Nawada for the
children of railway workers there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi