Demand in LS for creation of Bodoland state
New Delhi: A demand for creation of a
separate Bodoland state, carved out of Assam, was raised in
the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
Maintaining that the UPA-II has promised to create a
separate Telangana state, Independent member S K Bwiswmuthiary
demanded that the government take immediate measures for
creation of a separate Bodoland state in line with Telangana.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, he urged the entire
Parliament to support the demand of indigenous people for
creation of Bodoland within the constitutional framework.
"The UPA-II has announced a policy decision for creation
of separate states like Telangana. The demand for bringing
about a lasting solution to the Bodoland problem has been long
overdue and urgent steps should be taken to resolve this
issue," the Kokrajhar MP said.
CPI(M) member Mahendra Kumar Roy raised the issue of tea
garden workers in Siliguri who went on a three-day strike
recently to demand higher wages. He sought the intervention of
the Union Labour Ministry in the matter, saying no resolution
has been found despite negotiations.
Arjun Ram Meghwal (BJP) wanted central assistance in
creating mega food parks in Bikaner, while his party colleague
sought establishment of Kendriya Vidyalaya in Nawada for the
children of railway workers there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand