Development not enough, happiness also important: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday said effort should be made on removing inequality besides creating potential for economic development to bring "happiness" in society.
"Our focus is on improving living standards and also removing inequality. Human development is not enough, human happiness is also important," Gogoi said speaking during a workshop organised by the state government to discuss preparation of the Assam State Human Development Report.
Citing the instances of some advanced economies like Japan where suicide rates are high despite economic advances, Gogoi said factors like freedom of speech, dignity of individuals, environment are also important.
"Assam has made progress but a lot needs to be done. Our thrust is on education, health, agriculture and rural development.
"We are focusing of micro, small and medium industries for development. Once purchasing power of the people goes up, big industries will come by themselves," Gogoi said.
The state government has drawn up a comprehensive plan for conducting the 2nd State Human Development Report, which comes nine years after the first report was published in 2003.
Besides ascertaining details on indices like health, education, livelihood, the government is for the first time conducting a survey on `well-being` of people.
The report is to be prepared in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP