DFO, guard injured in rhino attack during Kaziranga census
Golaghat: Two forest department personnel, including a divisional forest officer (DFO), were injured in an attack by rhinos during a census operation at Kaziranga National Park on Sunday.
Official sources said DFO Aniruddha Dey and forest guard Hemchandra Dutta were astride an elephant inside Barori range of the park this morning during census when the rhino attacked.
The elephant was attacked by a female rhino and its calf. The elephant panicked and during the incident both Dey and Dutta slipped to the ground, the sources said, adding, the rhinos fled from the spot after forest guards intervened.
Dey and Dutta received injuries in their waists, backs and arms.
The DFO was shifted to the Jakhalabandha Hospital after primary treatment at Bagori Hospital, while Dutta has been admitted to Bokakhat Hospital.
Both are out of danger, the police added.
The census operation at KNP started this morning and will conclude tomorrow. The park has been closed for visitors for the duration of the census.
Over 250 staff are involved in the counting process for the census which will cover all 81 blocks of the park during the two-day period.
The census in KNP is conducted every two years, forest department sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read