Digvijay slams Advani for remarks on Assam violence
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh has hit out at BJP leader L K Advani alleging that his comments on Assam violence were adding fuel to the fire.
Singh said that Advani`s comments on illegal migration were "ill-timed" as the state was burning at that time.
Accusing Advani of abetting violence in Assam by making provocative statements at Kokrajhar when the area was in the grips of ethnic strife, Singh said "these (the comments) are like adding fuel to the fire".
He was speaking on the "Sarokar" programme at Rajya Sabhha television to be telecast tonight.
Advani, who had visited the area in last week of July had linked the situation in the state to that of violence in Jammu and Kashmir.
In the one-hour long discussion, Singh also took strong exception to "BJP`s love for Jinnah" when the Opposition party`s national executive member Seshadri Chari quoted late Mohammed Ali Jinnah to emphasise the seriousness of the crisis in Assam maintaining that the latter had told his staff that "within 10 years Assam would come to Pakistan on a platter".
Singh said that the the Assam accord was a result of a long-standing tribal strife in the area and is not a communal issue. The issue is extremely sensitive and needs to be addressed with utmost care, a press release by the Rajya Sabha channel quoted the Congress leader as saying.
BJP leaders had come down heavily on the Congress government last week during an adjournment motion on Assam violence in the Lok Sabha.
The ethnic violence in Assam, which started on July 19-20, has claimed 77 lives so far besides rendering more than four lakh homeless in the state.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi yesterday said that 1.6 lakh people displaced in the conflict have returned to their homes from refugee camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack