Discussions can solve Assam problems: Rajkhowa
Silchar: ULFA doves on Monday said only
discussions can result in political solution to problems of
the people of Assam but their failure may lead to a "civil war
like situation" in the state.
"People of Assam means not only Assamese people but all
`bhumiputras` who have raised the demand for establishing
peace in the state. We have only obeyed their demand and
initiated peace talks with the government," `chairman`
Arabinda Rajkhowa told.
"But if talks fail, the state will be rocked by a civil
war," he claimed.
He said ULFA had earlier fought for establishment of the
right for all bhumiputras from the jungles but now they are
fighting at the table and a solution should fulfill the rights
and dreams of people of Assam.
He said ULFA has already given a formula to the
government which was prepared on the basis of the actual
demand of the people of the state and if it was necessary, the
Constitution should be amended for a permanent solution of the
Rajkhowa also rubbished reports about the anti-talk
faction recently appointing Abhijit Barman as acting chairman
of the group, saying there was no one by that name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes