Dispur violence: Assam govt for magisterial probe
Guwahati: The Assam government on Saturday
ordered a magisterial inquiry into the violent incident of
June 22 at Dispur in which three persons were killed and over
50 injured, official sources said.
An anti-eviction protest rally led by Krishak Mukti
Sangram Samiti (KMSS) general secretary and RTI activist Akhil
Gogoi had turned violent with the three deaths and more than
170 vehicles damaged by the demonstrators.
Immediately after the incident the government had
ordered Additional Chief Secretary Surajit Mitra to inquire
into the incident and submit his report to the government.
The BJP had yesterday demanded a judicial probe into
the clashes between the protesters and police at Dispur with
its national spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy also wanting early
release of arrested KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi.
Talking to reporters here, Rudy alleged, "there must be
a judicial enquiry to find out the real picture. The June 22
clashes were not an accident, but a well-targeted vendetta
against some social activists".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living