Dissidence against Tarun Gogoi grows, 32 Congress MLAs resign
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: The political crisis in Assam further deepened when 32 Congress MLAs led by State`s Education and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma quit on Monday demanding the immediate ouster of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
According to reports, the rebel Congress MLAs tendered their resignation letter to the Governor after briefing him that they had no confidence in the Tarun Gogoi`s leadership.
The development is also a major blow for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, who has been openly backing Gogoi and scuttled hopes of the state`s rebel leaders to effect a change of guard in Assam.
Rahul Gandhi had reiterated his support to the beleaguered Assam Chief Minister this morning and asked him to keep the rebel MLAs, who want him to be removed, under control.
Gogoi has been facing severe opposition from Congress MLAs of his cabinet after the party`s drubbing in the recent Lok Sabha elections.
The rebel party MLAs had decided to meet the Governor a day after the party high command refused to put its foot down and signalled that there was unlikely to be any change under pressure and that no deadlines could be given to the leadership.
"There is nothing in all this speculation. The high command will take a decision in the matter," Congress spokesman Abhishek Singhvi said suggesting that the high command cannot be taken into rushing into any hasty decision.
He said this when he was asked to respond to questions whether a change of guard is likely to take place in Assam ahead of the Assembly session there early next month.
Replying to questions, he also dismissed speculation that party vice president Rahul Gandhi was not allowing any decision to be taken on the leadership issue in Assam.
He said senior leader Mallikarjun Kharge was sent there as Central Observer and his report was with the high command.
Singhvi`s remarks came at a time when dissident Congress MLAs in Assam stepped up pressure on the state party leadership, urging the high command to resolve the ongoing crisis in the state unit by the end of the present week.
The dissidents claim that 55 of the 77 Congress MLAs had demanded a change in the leadership of Tarun Gogoi though there were several other issues which they had placed before Kharge like the law and order situation and statehood demands in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings