Doesn’t PM have responsibility to set things right in Assam: BJP
Patna: The BJP on Saturday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to explain whether he did not have any responsibility to set things right in Assam, being an MP from the state, following the violence in six districts.
"The Prime Minister has been Rajya Sabha member for 20 years. Isn`t it his responsibility to take care of what is happening there," BJP Deputy Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
"It reflects the Centre`s apathy and exposes its seriousness, besides the failure of the Assam government...BJP strongly condemns it," Prasad said.
He alleged that it was an irresponsible statement by Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi who belonged to a party which had its government at the Centre that it did not provide police and intelligence information, and delayed deployment of Army.
When Assam shared a boundary with Bangladesh, it was the responsibility of the Centre to ensure coordination between the central agencies including BSF and the state agencies, Prasad said.
He said innocent people were being killed and similar incidents had occurred in 2008.
He said illegal infiltration in the area was a big problem and the Centre could not escape its responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal