Doesn’t PM have responsibility to set things right in Assam: BJP
Patna: The BJP on Saturday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to explain whether he did not have any responsibility to set things right in Assam, being an MP from the state, following the violence in six districts.
"The Prime Minister has been Rajya Sabha member for 20 years. Isn`t it his responsibility to take care of what is happening there," BJP Deputy Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
"It reflects the Centre`s apathy and exposes its seriousness, besides the failure of the Assam government...BJP strongly condemns it," Prasad said.
He alleged that it was an irresponsible statement by Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi who belonged to a party which had its government at the Centre that it did not provide police and intelligence information, and delayed deployment of Army.
When Assam shared a boundary with Bangladesh, it was the responsibility of the Centre to ensure coordination between the central agencies including BSF and the state agencies, Prasad said.
He said innocent people were being killed and similar incidents had occurred in 2008.
He said illegal infiltration in the area was a big problem and the Centre could not escape its responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt