Early warning system for flood mooted for Assam
Guwahati: With a view to prevent any major
loss from recurring floods which frequently engulf Assam, the Centre is working on an early warning system to give
the state adequate time to prepare for any eventuality.
"We are looking at an early warning system for prevention
of any major loss due to floods in Assam. The North Eastern
Space Applications Centre is undertaking a pilot project in
Lakhimpur district of Assam for the system," National Disaster
Management Authority (NDMA) Vice Chairman M Shashidhar Reddy
He said the NDMA has approached the Planning Commission
for allotment of funds for early warning systems in Assam and
the North Eastern states during the current 12th Five Year
Reddy said that North Eastern states, which sits atop
high activity seismic zone, face major challenge in case of
natural disasters like earthquakes and floods.
He was in the city to address a media workshop on
"However, in case of earthquakes it is very difficult to
have an early warning system. State governments and local
disaster management authorities will have to work on having
regular mock drills on the line of Japan for better mitigation
in case of such incidents," he said.
Reddy also called upon the state governments in the north
east to strictly implement safety norms during construction of
new buildings, besides adopting a holistic role by factoring
in prevention, mitigation, relief and rahabilitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Manjula Chellur sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Gionee S6s smartphone with 8MP front camera launched at Rs 17,999
- Karisma Kapoor just shared a major throwback picture with sister Kareena and we LOVE IT!
- Fungi show green way to recycle batteries
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October