Early warning system for flood mooted for Assam
Guwahati: With a view to prevent any major
loss from recurring floods which frequently engulf Assam, the Centre is working on an early warning system to give
the state adequate time to prepare for any eventuality.
"We are looking at an early warning system for prevention
of any major loss due to floods in Assam. The North Eastern
Space Applications Centre is undertaking a pilot project in
Lakhimpur district of Assam for the system," National Disaster
Management Authority (NDMA) Vice Chairman M Shashidhar Reddy
He said the NDMA has approached the Planning Commission
for allotment of funds for early warning systems in Assam and
the North Eastern states during the current 12th Five Year
Reddy said that North Eastern states, which sits atop
high activity seismic zone, face major challenge in case of
natural disasters like earthquakes and floods.
He was in the city to address a media workshop on
"However, in case of earthquakes it is very difficult to
have an early warning system. State governments and local
disaster management authorities will have to work on having
regular mock drills on the line of Japan for better mitigation
in case of such incidents," he said.
Reddy also called upon the state governments in the north
east to strictly implement safety norms during construction of
new buildings, besides adopting a holistic role by factoring
in prevention, mitigation, relief and rahabilitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt