Early warning system for flood mooted for Assam
Guwahati: With a view to prevent any major
loss from recurring floods which frequently engulf Assam, the Centre is working on an early warning system to give
the state adequate time to prepare for any eventuality.
"We are looking at an early warning system for prevention
of any major loss due to floods in Assam. The North Eastern
Space Applications Centre is undertaking a pilot project in
Lakhimpur district of Assam for the system," National Disaster
Management Authority (NDMA) Vice Chairman M Shashidhar Reddy
He said the NDMA has approached the Planning Commission
for allotment of funds for early warning systems in Assam and
the North Eastern states during the current 12th Five Year
Reddy said that North Eastern states, which sits atop
high activity seismic zone, face major challenge in case of
natural disasters like earthquakes and floods.
He was in the city to address a media workshop on
"However, in case of earthquakes it is very difficult to
have an early warning system. State governments and local
disaster management authorities will have to work on having
regular mock drills on the line of Japan for better mitigation
in case of such incidents," he said.
Reddy also called upon the state governments in the north
east to strictly implement safety norms during construction of
new buildings, besides adopting a holistic role by factoring
in prevention, mitigation, relief and rahabilitation.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today