Earthquake measuring 3.4 shakes Assam
Guwahati: An earthquake of mild intensity measuring 3.4 on the Richter scale shook Assam on Sunday, the third within a week to rock the state.
The quake struck at 3.52 pm at a depth of 34 km on latitude 26.5 degree North and longitude 93.1 degree East with its epicentre in Nagaon district of the state, said the Met office in Guwahati.
As the quake lasted only a few seconds with hardly perceptible tremor, many people were not aware about it and did not cause any loss of life or property, official sources said.
On April 16, the North East region was hit by two earthquakes with a child killed in a mudslide during a mild earthquake in Assam.
The first mild jolt measuring 4.6 on the Richter scale was felt at 6:53 am in Assam and its neighbouring states of Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur.
The tremor was located at latitude 26.3 degree North and longitude 92.0 degree East with its epicentre at a depth of 16 km in Darrang district of Assam, which along with the other NE states is categorised under Zone V of the country`s seismological map and considered to be highly active.
The second quake of moderate intensity measuring 5.0 on the Richter scale struck at 2.04 pm at a depth of 10 km with its epicentre at latitude 29.0 degree North and longitude 95.0 degree East in the India-China border region along Arunachal Pradesh, the Regional Meteorological Centre here said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened