Eastern Swamp Deer census begins in Kaziranga
Kaziranga: The seventh census of Eastern swamp deer began today in the four ranges of Kaziranga National Park.
Altogether 50 officials, forest guards and other employees of the Park along with 25 elephants have been engaged for the census which is held twice a year, Park Research Officer Robindra Sarma said.
Besides the Park authorities and forest department, the census would be conducted with the joint assistance of Wildlife Trust of India and the ONGC.
The eastern swamp deer, is one of the three endangered deer species existing in the world, and is found only in Kaziranga.
According to the census of December 2013, 836 swamp deers were found in the Park.
The census would be conducted in the Park`s four ranges Agaratoli, Kohora, Bagori and Burapahar ranges and these have been further divided into 20 compartments with 10 compartments for Kohora, four each for Agratoli and Bagori and two compartments for Burapahar range.
It will also be conducted in the additional areas of the northern bank range also this time.
The census of the Eastern Swamp Deer began in 2011 and is held twice a year once before mating and again after the mating season is over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves