Eastern Swamp Deer census begins in Kaziranga
Kaziranga: The seventh census of Eastern swamp deer began today in the four ranges of Kaziranga National Park.
Altogether 50 officials, forest guards and other employees of the Park along with 25 elephants have been engaged for the census which is held twice a year, Park Research Officer Robindra Sarma said.
Besides the Park authorities and forest department, the census would be conducted with the joint assistance of Wildlife Trust of India and the ONGC.
The eastern swamp deer, is one of the three endangered deer species existing in the world, and is found only in Kaziranga.
According to the census of December 2013, 836 swamp deers were found in the Park.
The census would be conducted in the Park`s four ranges Agaratoli, Kohora, Bagori and Burapahar ranges and these have been further divided into 20 compartments with 10 compartments for Kohora, four each for Agratoli and Bagori and two compartments for Burapahar range.
It will also be conducted in the additional areas of the northern bank range also this time.
The census of the Eastern Swamp Deer began in 2011 and is held twice a year once before mating and again after the mating season is over.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata