Eastern Swamp Deer census begins in Kaziranga
Kaziranga: The seventh census of Eastern swamp deer began today in the four ranges of Kaziranga National Park.
Altogether 50 officials, forest guards and other employees of the Park along with 25 elephants have been engaged for the census which is held twice a year, Park Research Officer Robindra Sarma said.
Besides the Park authorities and forest department, the census would be conducted with the joint assistance of Wildlife Trust of India and the ONGC.
The eastern swamp deer, is one of the three endangered deer species existing in the world, and is found only in Kaziranga.
According to the census of December 2013, 836 swamp deers were found in the Park.
The census would be conducted in the Park`s four ranges Agaratoli, Kohora, Bagori and Burapahar ranges and these have been further divided into 20 compartments with 10 compartments for Kohora, four each for Agratoli and Bagori and two compartments for Burapahar range.
It will also be conducted in the additional areas of the northern bank range also this time.
The census of the Eastern Swamp Deer began in 2011 and is held twice a year once before mating and again after the mating season is over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Now cancel counter-booked wait-listed train tickets online
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister