EC slaps showcause notice on Assam minister Himanta Sarma
Guwahati: Election Commission has issued showcause notice to Assam Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma for allegedly making communal remarks in an election rally against BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Sarma, who is state Health and Family Welfare, made some "objectionable remarks" during an election rally in Tezpur on March 29, an official release today said.
Sarma, who is also the state Education Minister, has been given time till 11:30 AM on April 21 to reply to the notice.
When contcated, Assam Additional Chief Electoral Officer R C Jain said, "We received a complaint about Sarma."
Sarma could not be contacted for his comments.
Meanwhile, EC has warned AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal and Assam Food and Civil Supplies Minister Nazrul Islam to desist from making any communal remarks in future.
Both were served showcause notices for making communal remarks during two separate places.
The release said EC has received the replies from both and these were not satisfactory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt should put evidence before court: Chidambaram on Karti
- SHOCKING: Milan metro suspended ahead of UEFA Champions League final match
- Monaco Grand Prix: Daniel Ricciardo secures maiden pole in Monte Carlo
- He has to forgive me someday: Arijit Singh on row with Salman Khan
- IPL 9 Video: This is how Kolkata Knight Riders thank supportive fans!