EC slaps showcause notice on Assam minister Himanta Sarma
Guwahati: Election Commission has issued showcause notice to Assam Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma for allegedly making communal remarks in an election rally against BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Sarma, who is state Health and Family Welfare, made some "objectionable remarks" during an election rally in Tezpur on March 29, an official release today said.
Sarma, who is also the state Education Minister, has been given time till 11:30 AM on April 21 to reply to the notice.
When contcated, Assam Additional Chief Electoral Officer R C Jain said, "We received a complaint about Sarma."
Sarma could not be contacted for his comments.
Meanwhile, EC has warned AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal and Assam Food and Civil Supplies Minister Nazrul Islam to desist from making any communal remarks in future.
Both were served showcause notices for making communal remarks during two separate places.
The release said EC has received the replies from both and these were not satisfactory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad