EC slaps showcause notice on Assam minister Himanta Sarma
Guwahati: Election Commission has issued showcause notice to Assam Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma for allegedly making communal remarks in an election rally against BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Sarma, who is state Health and Family Welfare, made some "objectionable remarks" during an election rally in Tezpur on March 29, an official release today said.
Sarma, who is also the state Education Minister, has been given time till 11:30 AM on April 21 to reply to the notice.
When contcated, Assam Additional Chief Electoral Officer R C Jain said, "We received a complaint about Sarma."
Sarma could not be contacted for his comments.
Meanwhile, EC has warned AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal and Assam Food and Civil Supplies Minister Nazrul Islam to desist from making any communal remarks in future.
Both were served showcause notices for making communal remarks during two separate places.
The release said EC has received the replies from both and these were not satisfactory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic