EC slaps showcause notice on Assam minister Himanta Sarma
Guwahati: Election Commission has issued showcause notice to Assam Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma for allegedly making communal remarks in an election rally against BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Sarma, who is state Health and Family Welfare, made some "objectionable remarks" during an election rally in Tezpur on March 29, an official release today said.
Sarma, who is also the state Education Minister, has been given time till 11:30 AM on April 21 to reply to the notice.
When contcated, Assam Additional Chief Electoral Officer R C Jain said, "We received a complaint about Sarma."
Sarma could not be contacted for his comments.
Meanwhile, EC has warned AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal and Assam Food and Civil Supplies Minister Nazrul Islam to desist from making any communal remarks in future.
Both were served showcause notices for making communal remarks during two separate places.
The release said EC has received the replies from both and these were not satisfactory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh