Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated in Dhubri amid high securit
Guwahati: Eid-ul-Azha was celebrated in Assam`s Dhubri district Saturday under tight security since Wednesday following clashes between protesters and police earlier.
Thousands offered prayers at idgahs and mosques to restore peace and harmony at Dhubri along with rest of the state.
The district administration, which imposed night curfew in Dhubri town Thursday, relaxed the curfew for 12 hours Saturday.
"The curfew had been relaxed from 5 am today to 5 pm," said Dhubri Deputy Commissioner of Police KC Kalita. He added that there were no reports of any fresh incidents of violence anywhere in the district.
"However, we are going to continue with the night curfew for few more days for security reasons," he said.
He said that six companies of central para-military forces had also been engaged along with one company of the Rapid Action Force.
Two columns of the army are also staging a flag march in sensitive areas of the district.
Security forces picked up 16 people Friday night for questioning in connection with Wednesday`s incidents of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...