Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated in Dhubri amid high securit
Guwahati: Eid-ul-Azha was celebrated in Assam`s Dhubri district Saturday under tight security since Wednesday following clashes between protesters and police earlier.
Thousands offered prayers at idgahs and mosques to restore peace and harmony at Dhubri along with rest of the state.
The district administration, which imposed night curfew in Dhubri town Thursday, relaxed the curfew for 12 hours Saturday.
"The curfew had been relaxed from 5 am today to 5 pm," said Dhubri Deputy Commissioner of Police KC Kalita. He added that there were no reports of any fresh incidents of violence anywhere in the district.
"However, we are going to continue with the night curfew for few more days for security reasons," he said.
He said that six companies of central para-military forces had also been engaged along with one company of the Rapid Action Force.
Two columns of the army are also staging a flag march in sensitive areas of the district.
Security forces picked up 16 people Friday night for questioning in connection with Wednesday`s incidents of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors