Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated in Dhubri amid high securit
Guwahati: Eid-ul-Azha was celebrated in Assam`s Dhubri district Saturday under tight security since Wednesday following clashes between protesters and police earlier.
Thousands offered prayers at idgahs and mosques to restore peace and harmony at Dhubri along with rest of the state.
The district administration, which imposed night curfew in Dhubri town Thursday, relaxed the curfew for 12 hours Saturday.
"The curfew had been relaxed from 5 am today to 5 pm," said Dhubri Deputy Commissioner of Police KC Kalita. He added that there were no reports of any fresh incidents of violence anywhere in the district.
"However, we are going to continue with the night curfew for few more days for security reasons," he said.
He said that six companies of central para-military forces had also been engaged along with one company of the Rapid Action Force.
Two columns of the army are also staging a flag march in sensitive areas of the district.
Security forces picked up 16 people Friday night for questioning in connection with Wednesday`s incidents of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing