Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated in Dhubri amid high securit
Guwahati: Eid-ul-Azha was celebrated in Assam`s Dhubri district Saturday under tight security since Wednesday following clashes between protesters and police earlier.
Thousands offered prayers at idgahs and mosques to restore peace and harmony at Dhubri along with rest of the state.
The district administration, which imposed night curfew in Dhubri town Thursday, relaxed the curfew for 12 hours Saturday.
"The curfew had been relaxed from 5 am today to 5 pm," said Dhubri Deputy Commissioner of Police KC Kalita. He added that there were no reports of any fresh incidents of violence anywhere in the district.
"However, we are going to continue with the night curfew for few more days for security reasons," he said.
He said that six companies of central para-military forces had also been engaged along with one company of the Rapid Action Force.
Two columns of the army are also staging a flag march in sensitive areas of the district.
Security forces picked up 16 people Friday night for questioning in connection with Wednesday`s incidents of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city