Eight IED blasts rock Assam
Goalpara: Suspected ULFA militants Saturday night set off eight IED blasts in a space of 90 minutes targetting the house of an AIDUF MLA and crowded markets in Assam`s Goalpara and Dhubri districts but there was no immediate report of casualty or injury, police sources said.
ULFA, along with some other insurgents group, gave a call for boycotting the Republic Day celebrations.
The first blast took place inside the residential complex of Moinuddin Ahmed, MLA of All India Democratic United Front, at Jaleshwar in Goalpara district.
The people apprehended one suspected militant and beat him up, after which he reportedly died though there was no official confirmation of this.
Three motorcycles suspected to have been used by the militants were recovered from the area, the sources said.
One bomb is suspected to be concealed in the MLA`s house and a bomb disposal squad of the police reached the place, they added.
Another IED went off at Jaleshwar High School.
The other explosions in Goalpara district took place at Moriakichi Bazar, Gaurnagar, Porahita and Jamadar Bazar areas.
In Dhubri, the areas hit by the blasts are Airketa, Sirajkuthi and Metarteri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof