Eight persons arrested in Guwahati molestation case
Guwahati: Assam Police arrested on Monday another accused in the molestation of a girl outside a pub here taking the number of those apprehended in the case to eight.
"Today we arrested Rupkanta Kalita from Nalbari and search operations are on in Guwahati and nearby areas, including Meghalaya where the other three other main accused may have taken refuge," a senior official said.
Another officer said the prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita has fled to Odisha and is hiding in Puri.
"We are in touch with our Odisha counterpart to track down the main culprit and bring him back to Assam," he said.
Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said the key accused was traced to Bhubaneswar.
"Tracking of his (Amarjyoti Kalita) mobile phone has pointed to his presence in Bhubaneswar. Assam Police is in touch with its Odisha counterparts and we hope to trace him soon," he told reporters outside the Assembly.
Police have announced Rs one lakh cash award for information on the whereabouts of Kalita.
Gogoi attacked the news channel that aired the footage of the molestation saying its role was `unethical`.
It was the moral duty of the cameraman who filmed the incident to inform the police, he said, adding he was ready to meet the girl.
The issue, which has caused a public outcry, rocked the state assembly today resulting in separate walkouts by the Opposition All India United Democratic Front, AGP and BJP after Speaker Pranab Gogoi disallowed an adjournment motion to discuss the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation