Eight persons arrested in Guwahati molestation case
Guwahati: Assam Police arrested on Monday another accused in the molestation of a girl outside a pub here taking the number of those apprehended in the case to eight.
"Today we arrested Rupkanta Kalita from Nalbari and search operations are on in Guwahati and nearby areas, including Meghalaya where the other three other main accused may have taken refuge," a senior official said.
Another officer said the prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita has fled to Odisha and is hiding in Puri.
"We are in touch with our Odisha counterpart to track down the main culprit and bring him back to Assam," he said.
Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said the key accused was traced to Bhubaneswar.
"Tracking of his (Amarjyoti Kalita) mobile phone has pointed to his presence in Bhubaneswar. Assam Police is in touch with its Odisha counterparts and we hope to trace him soon," he told reporters outside the Assembly.
Police have announced Rs one lakh cash award for information on the whereabouts of Kalita.
Gogoi attacked the news channel that aired the footage of the molestation saying its role was `unethical`.
It was the moral duty of the cameraman who filmed the incident to inform the police, he said, adding he was ready to meet the girl.
The issue, which has caused a public outcry, rocked the state assembly today resulting in separate walkouts by the Opposition All India United Democratic Front, AGP and BJP after Speaker Pranab Gogoi disallowed an adjournment motion to discuss the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal