Eminent freedom fighter Uma Phukan dead
Nagaon (Assam): Eminent freedom fighter Uma Phukan died on Tuesday of old-age ailments, family sources said.
He was 90 and is survived by three sons and four daughters.
Son of Assam`s prominent freedom fighter Bhugeswari, Phukan devoted his life to development of indigenous agricultural practices.
He established a high school, of which he was the president for more than a decade and also set up a market and hospital at Kaki area of the district.
He was also the president of state freedom fighters association for several years and also served as president of its Nagaon district unit till his death.
He wrote his autobiography titled `Smritir Rod Kachalit Mur Atma Katha`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare