Eminent freedom fighter Uma Phukan dead
Nagaon (Assam): Eminent freedom fighter Uma Phukan died on Tuesday of old-age ailments, family sources said.
He was 90 and is survived by three sons and four daughters.
Son of Assam`s prominent freedom fighter Bhugeswari, Phukan devoted his life to development of indigenous agricultural practices.
He established a high school, of which he was the president for more than a decade and also set up a market and hospital at Kaki area of the district.
He was also the president of state freedom fighters association for several years and also served as president of its Nagaon district unit till his death.
He wrote his autobiography titled `Smritir Rod Kachalit Mur Atma Katha`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi