Eminent freedom fighter Uma Phukan dead
Nagaon (Assam): Eminent freedom fighter Uma Phukan died on Tuesday of old-age ailments, family sources said.
He was 90 and is survived by three sons and four daughters.
Son of Assam`s prominent freedom fighter Bhugeswari, Phukan devoted his life to development of indigenous agricultural practices.
He established a high school, of which he was the president for more than a decade and also set up a market and hospital at Kaki area of the district.
He was also the president of state freedom fighters association for several years and also served as president of its Nagaon district unit till his death.
He wrote his autobiography titled `Smritir Rod Kachalit Mur Atma Katha`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH