Encephalitis has claimed 53 lives in Assam since January
Guwahati: Fifty-three people died due to encephalitis and 362 others suffered from acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Assam since January this year.
Another 24 positive cases of Japanese encephalitis were detected during the period, NRHM state surveillance officer Dr B C Bhagabati told PTI.
Dibrugarh district in upper Assam accounted for the maximum deaths (13), he said. Ten of the deaths were reported this week, he said.
Three deaths were reported in Dibrugarh, two each in Sonitpur and Darrang, while one each in Jorhat, Lakhimpur and Morigaon districts.
Kamrup (Metro) where Guwahati is situated had 29 incidences of the disease during last six months.
As preventive measures, he said, the government has stepped up fogging and DDT spraying, intensified the ITBN (Insecticide Treated Bednet) scheme besides holding awareness programmes in villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?