Engineer`s death probe: HC issues notices to CBI, Assam govt
Guwahati: The Gauhati High Court on Tuesday issued notices to the Assam government and the CBI for refusing to probe the killing of an engineer of the state agriculture department in 2012.
Justice Ujjal Bhuyan issued the notice after hearing a writ petition by the dead engineer Gadapani Pathak`s widow Swarnali Deka Pathak and directed the CBI and the state government to file their responses regarding the denial to investigate the case.
The petitioner had alleged that her husband was abducted and murdered on May 2, 2012 while he was returning from Bongaigaon on official duty and a case was registered at the Abhayapuri police station.
The state government had in a letter to the central investigating agency on September 26, 2012, recommended a CBI inquiry into the case.
The CBI had, however, in a letter dated November 27, 2012, informed the government that it would not be possible on its part to investigate the case due to resource constraints.
The petitioner subsequently approached the Gauhati High Court, pleading that the CBI make a detailed investigation and file a chargesheet in the murder of her husband.
The court after hearing the case issued notices to the respondents -- CBI and the state government -- and directed them to file their responses.
The judge fixed November 28 as the next date of hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read