Ex-insurgents and crorepatis contest in Assam polls
Guwahati: The coming Assembly election in
Assam will see an array of former ULFA insurgents and
millionaires like Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi fighting it out
in the first phase poll on April 4.
The former ULFA leaders included two militants who won as
independents in the last election and three other surrendered
leaders of the banned outfit.
The two independent legislators contesting for the third
time are Jiten Gogoi and Kushal Duwori from Bokakhat and
Thowra constituencies respectively. They are former ULFA
leaders who have surrendered before the government.
The three others are also former ULFA leaders who
surrendered before the government 10 years ago.
The ULFA leaders trying out their electoral fortunes
include Suresh Bora as Congress candidate from Barhampur,
Prafulla Bora alias Dhekial Phukan as NCP contestant from
Bihpuria and Jayanta Khound, fighting independently from
Suresh Bora told the media that his former ULFA
connection would not affect his electoral prospect as he had
come to the mainstream and was given a Congress ticket to
At least six `crorepatis` will also fight the election
which included Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, a Congress nominee,
and one of the Asom Gana Parishad.
As per the affidavit filed along with the nomination
papers, Tarun Gogoi has immovable property worth Rs 3.65 crore
and movable assets of Rs 35 lakh, totalling Rs 4 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing