Ex-insurgents and crorepatis contest in Assam polls
Guwahati: The coming Assembly election in
Assam will see an array of former ULFA insurgents and
millionaires like Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi fighting it out
in the first phase poll on April 4.
The former ULFA leaders included two militants who won as
independents in the last election and three other surrendered
leaders of the banned outfit.
The two independent legislators contesting for the third
time are Jiten Gogoi and Kushal Duwori from Bokakhat and
Thowra constituencies respectively. They are former ULFA
leaders who have surrendered before the government.
The three others are also former ULFA leaders who
surrendered before the government 10 years ago.
The ULFA leaders trying out their electoral fortunes
include Suresh Bora as Congress candidate from Barhampur,
Prafulla Bora alias Dhekial Phukan as NCP contestant from
Bihpuria and Jayanta Khound, fighting independently from
Suresh Bora told the media that his former ULFA
connection would not affect his electoral prospect as he had
come to the mainstream and was given a Congress ticket to
At least six `crorepatis` will also fight the election
which included Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, a Congress nominee,
and one of the Asom Gana Parishad.
As per the affidavit filed along with the nomination
papers, Tarun Gogoi has immovable property worth Rs 3.65 crore
and movable assets of Rs 35 lakh, totalling Rs 4 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India