Ex-insurgents and crorepatis contest in Assam polls
Guwahati: The coming Assembly election in
Assam will see an array of former ULFA insurgents and
millionaires like Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi fighting it out
in the first phase poll on April 4.
The former ULFA leaders included two militants who won as
independents in the last election and three other surrendered
leaders of the banned outfit.
The two independent legislators contesting for the third
time are Jiten Gogoi and Kushal Duwori from Bokakhat and
Thowra constituencies respectively. They are former ULFA
leaders who have surrendered before the government.
The three others are also former ULFA leaders who
surrendered before the government 10 years ago.
The ULFA leaders trying out their electoral fortunes
include Suresh Bora as Congress candidate from Barhampur,
Prafulla Bora alias Dhekial Phukan as NCP contestant from
Bihpuria and Jayanta Khound, fighting independently from
Suresh Bora told the media that his former ULFA
connection would not affect his electoral prospect as he had
come to the mainstream and was given a Congress ticket to
At least six `crorepatis` will also fight the election
which included Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, a Congress nominee,
and one of the Asom Gana Parishad.
As per the affidavit filed along with the nomination
papers, Tarun Gogoi has immovable property worth Rs 3.65 crore
and movable assets of Rs 35 lakh, totalling Rs 4 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown