Ex-scribe arrested in Assam
Guwahati: A former journalist was arrested in the city for allegedly collecting lakhs of rupees from various people on the pretext of providing them jobs in public sector undertaking Oil India Ltd.
Monikuntol Saikia, who had earlier worked in many vernacular newspapers and TV channels, was arrested yesterday based on a FIR filed by one person, police said today.
The complainant had filed the FIR alleging that Saikia had taken money from him and promised to facilitate a job in exchange.
Saikia is also alleged to have duped several other people with false promises of providing jobs.
He had left journalism some years back and was now engaged in private business.
Police are interrogating him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'