FDI in multi-brand retail to profit farmers: Gogoi
Guwahati: Coming out in favour of Centre`s decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment in multi-brand retail, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday said entry of big multinational companies would benefit local farmers.
"The big companies will buy directly from local farmers and this will benefit the farm sector. FDI in the sector would also do away with the problem of middlemen," Gogoi said here while addressing a farmers` meet.
He said the government will make available Rs 500 crore for boosting irrigation in the state`s farm sector, as per a proposal made by Assam Agriculture Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka.
Gogoi said rice production in the state has crossed 50 lakh tonne from around 29 lakh tonne a few years ago due to various schemes and programmes launched for the sector.
"Assam`s economy cannot progress without development of agriculture. Our effort has been to implement programmes to bring about a Green Revolution in the state," he said.
He added that from this month the state government has put in place arrangements for purchase of paddy from farmers at minimum support price.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- India to clock GDP growth of 7.4% in FY17: HSBC
- Jallikattu will be conducted next year in Tamil Nadu if DMK comes to power: Karunanidhi
- Interrogate 'driving force' in AgustaWestland scam: 10 things Subramanian Swamy said in Rajya Sabha
- Facebook's Instagram has a flaw: Anyone can delete your comments!
- Some activities of ISIS but no alarming situation: Govt