FDI in multi-brand retail to profit farmers: Gogoi
Guwahati: Coming out in favour of Centre`s decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment in multi-brand retail, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday said entry of big multinational companies would benefit local farmers.
"The big companies will buy directly from local farmers and this will benefit the farm sector. FDI in the sector would also do away with the problem of middlemen," Gogoi said here while addressing a farmers` meet.
He said the government will make available Rs 500 crore for boosting irrigation in the state`s farm sector, as per a proposal made by Assam Agriculture Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka.
Gogoi said rice production in the state has crossed 50 lakh tonne from around 29 lakh tonne a few years ago due to various schemes and programmes launched for the sector.
"Assam`s economy cannot progress without development of agriculture. Our effort has been to implement programmes to bring about a Green Revolution in the state," he said.
He added that from this month the state government has put in place arrangements for purchase of paddy from farmers at minimum support price.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees