FDI in multi-brand retail to profit farmers: Gogoi
Guwahati: Coming out in favour of Centre`s decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment in multi-brand retail, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday said entry of big multinational companies would benefit local farmers.
"The big companies will buy directly from local farmers and this will benefit the farm sector. FDI in the sector would also do away with the problem of middlemen," Gogoi said here while addressing a farmers` meet.
He said the government will make available Rs 500 crore for boosting irrigation in the state`s farm sector, as per a proposal made by Assam Agriculture Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka.
Gogoi said rice production in the state has crossed 50 lakh tonne from around 29 lakh tonne a few years ago due to various schemes and programmes launched for the sector.
"Assam`s economy cannot progress without development of agriculture. Our effort has been to implement programmes to bring about a Green Revolution in the state," he said.
He added that from this month the state government has put in place arrangements for purchase of paddy from farmers at minimum support price.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair crashes out of French Open
- 2nd Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews leads from front to frustrate England
- Union minister Rajyavardhan Rathore's son bags gold at 8th International Junior Shotgun Cup
- Attacks racist but have belief in Indian govt: African envoy