FDI in multi-brand retail to profit farmers: Gogoi
Guwahati: Coming out in favour of Centre`s decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment in multi-brand retail, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday said entry of big multinational companies would benefit local farmers.
"The big companies will buy directly from local farmers and this will benefit the farm sector. FDI in the sector would also do away with the problem of middlemen," Gogoi said here while addressing a farmers` meet.
He said the government will make available Rs 500 crore for boosting irrigation in the state`s farm sector, as per a proposal made by Assam Agriculture Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka.
Gogoi said rice production in the state has crossed 50 lakh tonne from around 29 lakh tonne a few years ago due to various schemes and programmes launched for the sector.
"Assam`s economy cannot progress without development of agriculture. Our effort has been to implement programmes to bring about a Green Revolution in the state," he said.
He added that from this month the state government has put in place arrangements for purchase of paddy from farmers at minimum support price.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital