Fire guts Uzan Bazar market in Guwahati
Guwahati: Over 50 shops were gutted when a major fire broke out in Uzan Bazar market here but there was no casualty reported, police said on Saturday.
The fire broke out around midnight last night and soon spread to the other shops of the market, which is located in the courtyard of Guwahati Municipality office complex where temporary sheds of wood and tin roofing have been set up to house the shops.
At least 14 fire engines battled till this morning to douse the flames, the police said.
It is suspected that the blaze started from an electrical short circuit and burnt down cooperative stores, shops selling stationary goods, puja items, besides fruits, vegetables, poultry and fish.
Uzan Bazar is a residential-cum-commercial hub with major tourist, historical and religious sites and is one of the oldest settlements in the city along Brahmaputra river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur