Fire guts Uzan Bazar market
Guwahati: Over 50 shops were gutted when a major fire broke out in Uzan Bazar market here but there was no casualty reported, police said on Saturday.
The fire broke out around midnight last night and soon spread to the other shops of the market, which is located in the courtyard of Guwahati Municipality office complex where temporary sheds of wood and tin roofing have been set up to house the shops.
At least 14 fire engines battled till this morning to douse the flames, the police said.
It is suspected that the blaze started from an electrical short circuit and burnt down cooperative stores, shops selling stationary goods, puja items, besides fruits, vegetables, poultry and fish.
Uzan Bazar is a residential-cum-commercial hub with major tourist, historical and religious sites and is one of the oldest settlements in the city along Brahmaputra river.
- Ethics committee Chairman to present report on Vijay Mallya in Rajya Sabha today
- AgustaWestland chopper deal scam: CBI grills ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi, Gautam Khaitan
- Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray advance to 3rd round at Madrid Masters
- Kerala shamed again: Now, a nursing student gang-raped near Thiruvananthapuram
- This portable device can test your food for glutten in less than 2 minutes!