Fire guts Uzan Bazar market
Guwahati: Over 50 shops were gutted when a major fire broke out in Uzan Bazar market here but there was no casualty reported, police said on Saturday.
The fire broke out around midnight last night and soon spread to the other shops of the market, which is located in the courtyard of Guwahati Municipality office complex where temporary sheds of wood and tin roofing have been set up to house the shops.
At least 14 fire engines battled till this morning to douse the flames, the police said.
It is suspected that the blaze started from an electrical short circuit and burnt down cooperative stores, shops selling stationary goods, puja items, besides fruits, vegetables, poultry and fish.
Uzan Bazar is a residential-cum-commercial hub with major tourist, historical and religious sites and is one of the oldest settlements in the city along Brahmaputra river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why