Fire guts Uzan Bazar market
Guwahati: Over 50 shops were gutted when a major fire broke out in Uzan Bazar market here but there was no casualty reported, police said on Saturday.
The fire broke out around midnight last night and soon spread to the other shops of the market, which is located in the courtyard of Guwahati Municipality office complex where temporary sheds of wood and tin roofing have been set up to house the shops.
At least 14 fire engines battled till this morning to douse the flames, the police said.
It is suspected that the blaze started from an electrical short circuit and burnt down cooperative stores, shops selling stationary goods, puja items, besides fruits, vegetables, poultry and fish.
Uzan Bazar is a residential-cum-commercial hub with major tourist, historical and religious sites and is one of the oldest settlements in the city along Brahmaputra river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH