Fire guts Uzan Bazar market
Guwahati: Over 50 shops were gutted when a major fire broke out in Uzan Bazar market here but there was no casualty reported, police said on Saturday.
The fire broke out around midnight last night and soon spread to the other shops of the market, which is located in the courtyard of Guwahati Municipality office complex where temporary sheds of wood and tin roofing have been set up to house the shops.
At least 14 fire engines battled till this morning to douse the flames, the police said.
It is suspected that the blaze started from an electrical short circuit and burnt down cooperative stores, shops selling stationary goods, puja items, besides fruits, vegetables, poultry and fish.
Uzan Bazar is a residential-cum-commercial hub with major tourist, historical and religious sites and is one of the oldest settlements in the city along Brahmaputra river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'