Fire in Assam commissioner`s office-cum-residence

The fire broke out in the residence of Iftikar Hussain following a short-circuit and soon spread to the ground floor where the office was located.

Updated: Jun 10, 2012, 13:53 PM IST

Jorhat: A devastating fire broke out on Sunday in the office-cum-residence of Upper Assam Commissioner located in Cinnamara area of Assam`s Jorhat district, official sources said.

The fire broke out in the residence of the first floor of the bungalow of Iftikar Hussain following a short-circuit at around 12:15 pm and soon spread to the ground floor where the office was located.

There was no casualty as the Commissioner was out of station and the office was closed today being a Sunday.

Official documents along with furniture and other valuables have been damaged in the fire though the resident staff managed to salvage some computers and other office materials.

The exact loss due to the fire was yet to be ascertained though it was estimated to be more than Rs 50 lakh.

Twelve fire tenders rushed to the spot to douse the blaze and more are being rushed from the nearby districts, ONGC and Indian Air Force.

Senior police and civil officials, including Jorhat Deputy Commissioner R C Jain, have rushed to the spot.

The Upper Assam Commissioner`s office cum residence was housed in a British tea bungalow built in 1852.

PTI