Fire in oil well in Assam
Tinsukia/Dibrugarh: A fire broke out in an oil well of Oil India Ltd in upper Assam`s Tinsukia district early this morning.
No injury or casualty has been been reported so far.
OIL spokesman Jishnu Sarma said the fire in a cruse oil well at Chandmari village was reported around 1 AM. OIL`s fire tenders doused the blaze around 5 AM and the well was sealed.
Investigations said that the fire broke out due to an attempt to steal oil from the well.
The thieves made a hole in the oil well`s high pressure `xmas tree` valve causing hydro carbon to come out in liquid form. It caught fire due to the difference in temperature inside the well and outside it, the spokesman said, adding OIL and police were keeping a strict vigil to prevent repeated attempts at theft of condensed oil from the wells in the area.
Meanwhile, the Paresh Baruah-led anti-talk ULFA faction in an email to PTI claimed responsibility for the fire, saying the outfit had caused a blast in the oil well.
However, Sarma said there was no blast in the oil well as claimed by the ULFA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?