Fire in ONGC plant in Assam, ULFA claims responsibility
Guwahati: A fire broke out at a pump in the ONGC plant in Assam`s Jorhat district due to an accidental blast, officials said on Saturday. However, there was no report of any causality in the blast, for which the ULFA militants have claimed responsibility.
A spokesman said the fire at GGS (Gas Gathering Station) in the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) plant at Barkhola in Jorhat took place around 9.30 pm on Friday.
He said that the fire occurred due to an accidental blast in the plant due to some technical snag. The production process has not been hampered due to the incident.
"The crude oil, which was stored in the pump and sent through pipes for refining, caught fire leading to the explosion of the tank," he said adding that the blast caused a loss of about Rs.50 lakh.
However, the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) militants claimed responsibility for the blast and said that the attack was part of the outfit`s campaign to strike at vital installations, protesting against the exploitation of the Central government.
Police officials, however, said that the blast was triggered due to some technical snag and that it was not triggered by the anti-talk militants of the ULFA.
"A detailed investigation, which was being under taken by the ONGC authority, will divulge the exact reason of the blast," a senior Assam Police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to campaign outside Amethi and Rae Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections?
- 'India stalling dialogue with Pakistan to avoid negotiations on Kashmir'
- Cancer woes: Parsley, dill can actually be the cure!
- Spine chilling! French swimmer Yannick Agnel promises to swim around the Nordic island if Iceland win Euro 2016
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open