Fire in ONGC plant in Assam, ULFA claims responsibility
Guwahati: A fire broke out at a pump in the ONGC plant in Assam`s Jorhat district due to an accidental blast, officials said on Saturday. However, there was no report of any causality in the blast, for which the ULFA militants have claimed responsibility.
A spokesman said the fire at GGS (Gas Gathering Station) in the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) plant at Barkhola in Jorhat took place around 9.30 pm on Friday.
He said that the fire occurred due to an accidental blast in the plant due to some technical snag. The production process has not been hampered due to the incident.
"The crude oil, which was stored in the pump and sent through pipes for refining, caught fire leading to the explosion of the tank," he said adding that the blast caused a loss of about Rs.50 lakh.
However, the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) militants claimed responsibility for the blast and said that the attack was part of the outfit`s campaign to strike at vital installations, protesting against the exploitation of the Central government.
Police officials, however, said that the blast was triggered due to some technical snag and that it was not triggered by the anti-talk militants of the ULFA.
"A detailed investigation, which was being under taken by the ONGC authority, will divulge the exact reason of the blast," a senior Assam Police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow