Five Assam districts in the grip of floods
Guwahati: The water level of the Brahmaputra and its tributaries maintained a rising trend on Sunday with five districts of Assam reeling under the third wave of floods.
Heavy and incessant rainfall in the catchment areas during the last few days has led the water level of the rivers to rise in Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Golaghat, Sonitpur and Kamrup, with vast areas of human habitation and cropland inundated, official sources said here.
The Brahmaputra was flowing above the danger level at Nematighat, the Jia Bhoroli in Sonitpur, Gai Nadi in Dhemaji and Singora in Lakhimpur districts.
An estimated one lakh people have been affected in 82 villages and the administration in these districts been directed to provide necessary relief and rehabilitation to the victims.
There has been, however, no loss of human life so far, the sources said.
In Golaghat, two breaches have been reported in Kakodanga River and a post of a bridge has been damaged in Gelabil-Selseli river.
In the worst-ever flood to hit the state during the last decade, 126 people lost their lives this year during the first and second wave of the deluge while 631 animals perished in Kaziranga National Park alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda