Five Assam districts in the grip of floods
Guwahati: The water level of the Brahmaputra and its tributaries maintained a rising trend on Sunday with five districts of Assam reeling under the third wave of floods.
Heavy and incessant rainfall in the catchment areas during the last few days has led the water level of the rivers to rise in Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Golaghat, Sonitpur and Kamrup, with vast areas of human habitation and cropland inundated, official sources said here.
The Brahmaputra was flowing above the danger level at Nematighat, the Jia Bhoroli in Sonitpur, Gai Nadi in Dhemaji and Singora in Lakhimpur districts.
An estimated one lakh people have been affected in 82 villages and the administration in these districts been directed to provide necessary relief and rehabilitation to the victims.
There has been, however, no loss of human life so far, the sources said.
In Golaghat, two breaches have been reported in Kakodanga River and a post of a bridge has been damaged in Gelabil-Selseli river.
In the worst-ever flood to hit the state during the last decade, 126 people lost their lives this year during the first and second wave of the deluge while 631 animals perished in Kaziranga National Park alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you