Flash floods in Assam, 30,000 affected
Tezpur/Dhemaji (Assam): Incessant rains in
parts of Assam and the upper reaches of neighbouring Arunachal
Pradesh have caused flash floods in Sonitpur and Dhemaji
districts, where nearly 30,000 people are affected.
Continuous rains for the last two days in Sonitpur
district`s Tezpur subdivision inundated vast riverine areas
and damaged standing crops at Dalabari, Besseria, Parbatia,
Panchmile, Koroiyani and Rajbharal, official sources said
Fed by the rains in Arunachal Pradesh along its
course, the Brahmaputra and its tributaries were rising
alarmingly towards the danger level in the district.
Rivers Jiabhorali at Khalihamari and Gabharu near
NH-52 with other major tributaries were also rising.
The overflowing waters of Brahmaputra and its branch
rivers Borgang and Burigang submerged vast areas in Biswanath
and Gohpur subdivisions, the sources said.
Flooding the low-lying areas, the waters overtopped
the National Highway linking Tezpur and North Lakhimpur at
three places between Balipara and Gohpur.
In Dhemaji district, the rains caused river
Subansiri`s tributary Jiadhal to be in spate and flood
adjoining areas in about 25 villages in west Dhemaji.
The worst affected villages are Kesukhona, Nepalisuti
The situation in Dhemaji was compounded by breaching
of a temporary mud dam for diverting water of the Subansiri
built during construction of the Lower Subansiri Hydro
Electric Power Project.
The temporary dam regularly breaches during the rainy
season when uprooted trees brought down by the Subansiri from
Arunachal hit against it and demolish the bundh, the sources
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?