Flood affects 15 villages in Sonitpur district in Assam
Tezpur: More than five thousand people in 15 villages of Assam`s Sonitpur district have been affected with water level of the rivers rising alarmingly on Tuesday due to heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh.
The water level of Rivers Satrang and Solengi were rising in Gohpur sub-division following heavy rainfall with large tracts of land inundated and several houses have been damaged, Sonitpur Deputy Commissioner Lalit Gogoi said.
The district administration has already set up a control room at Gohpur and a rescue team has been kept in preparedness for rendering service to the affected people, Gogoi said.
Roads have also been damaged in the affected areas following flooding with several stretches partially or fully submerged.
Many embankments have also been eroded while approach roads to some bridges and culverts have been damaged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS