Flood claims 9 lives in Assam
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam on Monday worsened with the Brahmaputra and its tributaries continuing to rise leaving nine persons dead and rendering 10 lakh people homeless in 16 districts.
Three children drowned in a boat mishap at Makum near Sadiya in Tinsukia district last night, while the NDRF rescued 42 others, official sources said.
Two others each died in Dibrugarh and Tinsukia districts and one each in Sibsagar and Nalbari yesterday, the sources said.
The worst affected districts were Baksa, Barpeta, Darrang, Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup (rural and metro), Lakhimpur, Morigaon, Nagaon, Nalbari, Sibsagar, Sonitpur and Tinsukia.
Ten relief camps have been set up in Sonitpur district, the sources said.
Meanwhile, with almost the entire 420 sq m of core area of the Kaziranga National Park flooded by waters of the Brahmaputra River, poachers taking advantage of the situation, killed a one-horned rhinoceros last night, forest officials said.
The poachers took away the pachyderm`s horn, they said.
The Pabitora Game Sanctuary, having the highest density of rhinoceroses in the world and the Dibru Saikhowa sanctuary which has rare wild horses were also inundated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes