Flood situation worsens in Assam
Guwahati: Flood situation in Assam worsened on Sunday with 43 more villages in three districts getting submerged, while water entered the Kaziranga National Park where an antelope was killed, officials said.
About 65,000 people of 170 villages in seven districts - Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup, Karimganj and Lakhimpur - were affected.
However, there was no report of any casualty.
According to Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA), Brahmaputra and its tributaries Jia Bharali and Dikhow were flowing over danger mark at Jorhat, Sonitpur and Sivasagar.
Altogether 43 villages have come under water in Dhemaji, Jorhat and Sivasagar districts since yesterday affecting nearly 5,000 people. Around 800 people are taking shelter in three relief camps in Dhemaji.
As per ASDMA records, a total of almost 2,400 hectare of agricultural land with standing crops have been submerged in the affected districts.
While heavy rains were reported from various parts of the state, erosion was noticed on Khalihamari Butikur road in Dhemaji. Due to severe flood, most of the roads and Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) schemes have been affected.
Besides, one bridge has been washed away in Sadiya sub-division of Tinsukia district. Six roads have also been damaged in Golaghat along with a bridge.
Embankments were breached at two places in Karimganj, the sources said.
ASDMA said people 15 villages of Majuli, the world`s largest river island, were marooned.
Meanwhile, an antelope was killed and another injured while trying move to a highland as water entered Burapahar and Bagori ranges of the Kaziranga National Park (KNP), a world heritage site.
The two animals were hit by a speeding vehicle last night when they were crossing NH 37 along the Park to move to the highlands in neighbouring Karbi Anglong district through the Mirimihi animal corridor, KNP sources said.
The injured antelope was sent to the Centre for Wildlife Rehabilitation and Conservation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion