Flood victims in south Assam unhappy with govt
Karimganj: Flood victims in Cachar district of south Assam have complained about lack of sufficient relief material at the camps set up by the administration.
Taj Uddin, a 35-year-old rickshaw puller sheltering at a camp in Silchar town`s Government Boys` Higher Secondary School, said government steps "have not been up to mark".
"A few families are fortunate to receive something. But for the majority, it has been bad and many have not received even an ounce of grain," he added.
Some of the inmates of the camp admitted that material were provided but were insufficient.
"We have received one kilo rice, 200 gm dal and 100 gm salt for a family of five members," said another flood victim, Dinesh Das (41).
He said such a paltry help was totally insufficient for a family of five.
"Many inmates have also suffered from fever but no medical help was provided and people had to buy medicines on their own, he added.
Some of the inmates also complained about lack of potable dirnking water in the relief camps.
However, the district administration and the government said that ample foodgrains and other materials have been provided to the relief camps across the district.
Assam Irrigation Minister Ardhendu Kumar Dey said that 41 relief camps and 107 small relief centres have been set up for providing succour to the flood victims in the district.
He said that the seven medical teams were deployed in the affected regions.
According to him, a total of 1,222 quintal of rice, 227.767 quintal of dal and 66.6 quintal of salt, besides 26,300 packets of purified drinking water had been distributed to the victims by the administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says