Flood victims in south Assam unhappy with govt
Karimganj: Flood victims in Cachar district of south Assam have complained about lack of sufficient relief material at the camps set up by the administration.
Taj Uddin, a 35-year-old rickshaw puller sheltering at a camp in Silchar town`s Government Boys` Higher Secondary School, said government steps "have not been up to mark".
"A few families are fortunate to receive something. But for the majority, it has been bad and many have not received even an ounce of grain," he added.
Some of the inmates of the camp admitted that material were provided but were insufficient.
"We have received one kilo rice, 200 gm dal and 100 gm salt for a family of five members," said another flood victim, Dinesh Das (41).
He said such a paltry help was totally insufficient for a family of five.
"Many inmates have also suffered from fever but no medical help was provided and people had to buy medicines on their own, he added.
Some of the inmates also complained about lack of potable dirnking water in the relief camps.
However, the district administration and the government said that ample foodgrains and other materials have been provided to the relief camps across the district.
Assam Irrigation Minister Ardhendu Kumar Dey said that 41 relief camps and 107 small relief centres have been set up for providing succour to the flood victims in the district.
He said that the seven medical teams were deployed in the affected regions.
According to him, a total of 1,222 quintal of rice, 227.767 quintal of dal and 66.6 quintal of salt, besides 26,300 packets of purified drinking water had been distributed to the victims by the administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah