Floods in Assam turn critical
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam on Thursday turned serious as 50 per cent of the population of Dhemaji district was reeling under the impact of the deluge while many villages in Tinsukia, Kamrup, Sonitpur and Lakhimpur district flooded even as two students drowned in Doomdooma.
Raj Kishore Choudhury and Dilip Mala of Doomdooma College drowned in Tinsukia district of upper Assam when their country boat capsized as they tried to cross a local river in spate at Doomdooma, official sources said.
In the flash floods in neighbouring Dhemaji district, due to rains in the catchment areas of Arunachal Pradesh, four lakh of the eight lakh people have been affected by the floods inundating 400 villages due to breach of embankments on the Brahmaputra, the sources said.
Ten houses and a lower primary school have been washed away by the deluge, which has marooned 25,000 people at Jurkota and Sisir area.
Sadiya sub-division has been cut off from the rest of the country as its only connection of ferry service has been suspended due to the swelling Brahmaputra.
In Sadiya sub-division, 80 villages, 15 in Goriatim and eight in Dolai were inundated, they said, adding, NH-52 was inundated snapping traffic movement to Arunachal Pradesh.
The Dibru Saikhowa National Park was badly affected by the floods even though there was no loss of animal life so far.
Eight relief camps have been set up so far with an estimated 10,000 people taking shelter there.
Troops from 12 Bihar Regiment had been deployed for rescue operations, the sources said.
In Nalbari district along the Indo-Bhutan border, eight villages were affected by the Mora Pagladia and Tihu rivers due to rains in the Bhutan foot-hills, they said.
In Kamrup, seven villages and two each in Sonitpur and Lakhimpur were also affected by the floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?