Four kidnapped in Assam district, one body found
Guwahati: Four persons, including two boys, were kidnapped by suspected NDFB (Songbijit) insurgents in Assam`s Baksa district and the body of one of them was found on Saturday as indefinite curfew was clamped and the Army was standing by.
The four persons were identified as -- Bakar Ali (13), Saddam Ali (13), Ataur Rahman (27) and Ruhul Amin (45), Deputy Commissioner Vinod Seshan said.
The body of one of those missing, 13-year-old Bakar Ali, was found during search operations from adjoining Barpeta district, Additional Deputy Commissioner Bhawani Prasad Sharma told a news agency here.
He said seven persons, reportedly lemon traders, came to Labdanguri market in Salbari sub-division in the district from adjacent Barpeta last evening but four of them did not return home.
Sharma said it was suspected the four were kidnapped by National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit) militants.
Following this, indefinite curfew was clamped in Salbari and a search operation launched by police and CRPF with the army kept on stand by, Seshan said.
He said four cycles and sandals were found from a nearby area.
In a related development, the state government shifted the Superintendent of Police of Baksa district Nimbalkar Vaibhav Chandrakant with 10th Assam Police Battalion Commandant Mojibur Rahman.
According to district administration sources, Chandrakant had gone on long leave a few days prior to the kidnap.
In May this year, 50 persons were killed in Baksa and Kokrajhar districts of the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts by suspected Bodoland Peoples Front-supported insurgents.
NIA and the state government were making separate investigations into it.
Reacting to the incident, Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Vijay Kumar Singh said: "These things need to be curbed and controlled and we need to get out of this violence."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt