Four kidnapped in Assam district, one body found
Guwahati: Four persons, including two boys, were kidnapped by suspected NDFB (Songbijit) insurgents in Assam`s Baksa district and the body of one of them was found on Saturday as indefinite curfew was clamped and the Army was standing by.
The four persons were identified as -- Bakar Ali (13), Saddam Ali (13), Ataur Rahman (27) and Ruhul Amin (45), Deputy Commissioner Vinod Seshan said.
The body of one of those missing, 13-year-old Bakar Ali, was found during search operations from adjoining Barpeta district, Additional Deputy Commissioner Bhawani Prasad Sharma told a news agency here.
He said seven persons, reportedly lemon traders, came to Labdanguri market in Salbari sub-division in the district from adjacent Barpeta last evening but four of them did not return home.
Sharma said it was suspected the four were kidnapped by National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit) militants.
Following this, indefinite curfew was clamped in Salbari and a search operation launched by police and CRPF with the army kept on stand by, Seshan said.
He said four cycles and sandals were found from a nearby area.
In a related development, the state government shifted the Superintendent of Police of Baksa district Nimbalkar Vaibhav Chandrakant with 10th Assam Police Battalion Commandant Mojibur Rahman.
According to district administration sources, Chandrakant had gone on long leave a few days prior to the kidnap.
In May this year, 50 persons were killed in Baksa and Kokrajhar districts of the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts by suspected Bodoland Peoples Front-supported insurgents.
NIA and the state government were making separate investigations into it.
Reacting to the incident, Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Vijay Kumar Singh said: "These things need to be curbed and controlled and we need to get out of this violence."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE