Four killed, 26 injured in road mishap in Assam
Tezpur: Four devotees, including two women and a girl child, were killed and 26 others injured on Sunday when the vehicle they were travelling in turned turtle in Assam`s Sonitpur district, police said.
The speeding vehicle, carrying 30 devotees who had gone to offer prayers after observing a religious occasion of the Nepali community at Bishwanath Ghat last night, turned turtle near Panibharal area of Bishwanath Chariali town this morning, killing four on the spot.
Among the 26 injured, 16 were admitted to Bishwanath Chariali Civil Hospital but 13 of them were referred to Tezpur Kanaklata Civil Hospital after their condition became critical, police said.
The dead have been identified as 45-year Durga Chetry, 20-year old Krishna Chetry, 18-year old Gopal Chetry and 12-year-old Pinky Sarma.
The vehicle, which was overloaded and speeding, turned turtle four times before rolling down the side of the road, a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok