Four killed, 26 injured in road mishap in Assam
Tezpur: Four devotees, including two women and a girl child, were killed and 26 others injured on Sunday when the vehicle they were travelling in turned turtle in Assam`s Sonitpur district, police said.
The speeding vehicle, carrying 30 devotees who had gone to offer prayers after observing a religious occasion of the Nepali community at Bishwanath Ghat last night, turned turtle near Panibharal area of Bishwanath Chariali town this morning, killing four on the spot.
Among the 26 injured, 16 were admitted to Bishwanath Chariali Civil Hospital but 13 of them were referred to Tezpur Kanaklata Civil Hospital after their condition became critical, police said.
The dead have been identified as 45-year Durga Chetry, 20-year old Krishna Chetry, 18-year old Gopal Chetry and 12-year-old Pinky Sarma.
The vehicle, which was overloaded and speeding, turned turtle four times before rolling down the side of the road, a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali