Four killed, 26 injured in road mishap in Assam
Tezpur: Four devotees, including two women and a girl child, were killed and 26 others injured on Sunday when the vehicle they were travelling in turned turtle in Assam`s Sonitpur district, police said.
The speeding vehicle, carrying 30 devotees who had gone to offer prayers after observing a religious occasion of the Nepali community at Bishwanath Ghat last night, turned turtle near Panibharal area of Bishwanath Chariali town this morning, killing four on the spot.
Among the 26 injured, 16 were admitted to Bishwanath Chariali Civil Hospital but 13 of them were referred to Tezpur Kanaklata Civil Hospital after their condition became critical, police said.
The dead have been identified as 45-year Durga Chetry, 20-year old Krishna Chetry, 18-year old Gopal Chetry and 12-year-old Pinky Sarma.
The vehicle, which was overloaded and speeding, turned turtle four times before rolling down the side of the road, a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery