Four killed, 26 injured in road mishap in Assam
Tezpur: Four devotees, including two women and a girl child, were killed and 26 others injured on Sunday when the vehicle they were travelling in turned turtle in Assam`s Sonitpur district, police said.
The speeding vehicle, carrying 30 devotees who had gone to offer prayers after observing a religious occasion of the Nepali community at Bishwanath Ghat last night, turned turtle near Panibharal area of Bishwanath Chariali town this morning, killing four on the spot.
Among the 26 injured, 16 were admitted to Bishwanath Chariali Civil Hospital but 13 of them were referred to Tezpur Kanaklata Civil Hospital after their condition became critical, police said.
The dead have been identified as 45-year Durga Chetry, 20-year old Krishna Chetry, 18-year old Gopal Chetry and 12-year-old Pinky Sarma.
The vehicle, which was overloaded and speeding, turned turtle four times before rolling down the side of the road, a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!