Four killed, 26 injured in road mishap in Assam
Tezpur: Four devotees, including two women and a girl child, were killed and 26 others injured on Sunday when the vehicle they were travelling in turned turtle in Assam`s Sonitpur district, police said.
The speeding vehicle, carrying 30 devotees who had gone to offer prayers after observing a religious occasion of the Nepali community at Bishwanath Ghat last night, turned turtle near Panibharal area of Bishwanath Chariali town this morning, killing four on the spot.
Among the 26 injured, 16 were admitted to Bishwanath Chariali Civil Hospital but 13 of them were referred to Tezpur Kanaklata Civil Hospital after their condition became critical, police said.
The dead have been identified as 45-year Durga Chetry, 20-year old Krishna Chetry, 18-year old Gopal Chetry and 12-year-old Pinky Sarma.
The vehicle, which was overloaded and speeding, turned turtle four times before rolling down the side of the road, a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!