Four percent detected Bangladeshis deported from Assam in 29 years
Guwahati: Over 59,500 Bangladeshis have been detected as per Assam Accord in the state since 1985, of which a little over four per cent have been deported, the Assembly was informed on Wednesday.
Besides, nearly two lakh cases were pending since 1985 to May 2014 in different Foreigners Tribunals in the state.
In a written reply to a query by AGP MLA Phani Bhusan Choudhury, Environment and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain said a total of 59,512 foreigners have been detected as per the Assam Accord between 1985 and May 2014.
"Out of the detected persons, 2,446 Bangladeshi nationals have been deported from Assam," Hussain replied on behalf of the Implementation of Assam Accord Minister.
Besides these, 27,239 "fresh/re-infiltrators" foreigners have been "pushed back" from Assam, he added.
Of the total detected persons, 42,460 are absconders and all the districts have been instructed to nab them, Hussain informed the House.
Out of the rest, 13,900 foreigners have registered their names with Foreigner Regional Registration Offices, while 636 have appealed in Courts.
Also, 70 foreigners are at present kept in Detention Centre and the deportation process for them is on, the Minister
Assam currently has 26 Foreigners Tribunals and 64 more are proposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video