Fresh floods affect Jorhat district, 25,000 families hit
Jorhat: Water level of the Brahmaputra river was flowing above the danger level at several places affecting more than 45 villages in Assam`s Jorhat district, official sources said on Sunday.
The water was flowing above the danger level at Majuli, Kamalabari, Neematighat and Jhanjimukh with over 45 villages with population of 25,000 families affected.
A ten member team from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) arrived at Majuli island to conduct rescue operations in the villages submerged during the third wave of flood this year.
The team arrived with three speed motor boats, rubber boats, lifesaving jackets and other life saving gadgets etc.
The district administration today distributed relief food materials to the affected families following the sudden rise in the water level since Friday last.
Meanwhile, link between Upper and Lower Majuli has been severed due to the rise in the water level and fresh areas being submerged.
The affected villages in Nematighat are Kokila, Upper Kokila, Kyoimari, Bhitor Kokila, Jhanjimukh Kumar village, Jhanjimukh Mising village and Dyne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday