Fresh floods affect Jorhat district, 25,000 families hit
Jorhat: Water level of the Brahmaputra river was flowing above the danger level at several places affecting more than 45 villages in Assam`s Jorhat district, official sources said on Sunday.
The water was flowing above the danger level at Majuli, Kamalabari, Neematighat and Jhanjimukh with over 45 villages with population of 25,000 families affected.
A ten member team from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) arrived at Majuli island to conduct rescue operations in the villages submerged during the third wave of flood this year.
The team arrived with three speed motor boats, rubber boats, lifesaving jackets and other life saving gadgets etc.
The district administration today distributed relief food materials to the affected families following the sudden rise in the water level since Friday last.
Meanwhile, link between Upper and Lower Majuli has been severed due to the rise in the water level and fresh areas being submerged.
The affected villages in Nematighat are Kokila, Upper Kokila, Kyoimari, Bhitor Kokila, Jhanjimukh Kumar village, Jhanjimukh Mising village and Dyne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read