Fresh killing in Kokrajhar, toll mounts to 78
Kokrajhar: Violence returned to Kokrajhar town tonight with the killing of one person, taking the toll to 78 in the clashes that started in Assam`s communally-sensitive districts since late last month.
Police said unidentified miscreants riding a motorcycle fired at the owner of a pharmacy shop at Pandarchowa under Salakati police station at about 7:30 PM.
The assailants fled after the killing and the police launched the hunt to arrest them, the sources said.
Curfew in Rangiya sub-division of Kamrup Rural district was relaxed today as no incident of violence was reported there.
"Curfew was relaxed in Rangiya from 9 AM to 3 PM. The situation is under control," Assam Inspector General of Police (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi said.
Shops and markets in Rangiya opened this morning after relaxation of the curfew.
He said police and security forces were maintaining strict vigil in Rangiya and other other trouble-torn areas of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa districts.
Bishnoi said police fired rubber bullets yesterday evening at Tamulpur in Baksa district to control a mob that was attempting to break into Tamulpur police station.
The mob had gathered there to protest against detention of around 65 people who were allegedly involved in burning a car, whose driver remained untraced, on the night of August 15.
Some persons in Rangiya had yesterday blocked NH 31 and set on fire a bus and a wooden bridge.
Meanwhile, Bajrang Dal has given a 12-hour bandh call in Chirang, Baksa and Kamrup Rural district tomorrow to protest against the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi