Fresh killing in Kokrajhar, toll mounts to 78
Kokrajhar: Violence returned to Kokrajhar town tonight with the killing of one person, taking the toll to 78 in the clashes that started in Assam`s communally-sensitive districts since late last month.
Police said unidentified miscreants riding a motorcycle fired at the owner of a pharmacy shop at Pandarchowa under Salakati police station at about 7:30 PM.
The assailants fled after the killing and the police launched the hunt to arrest them, the sources said.
Curfew in Rangiya sub-division of Kamrup Rural district was relaxed today as no incident of violence was reported there.
"Curfew was relaxed in Rangiya from 9 AM to 3 PM. The situation is under control," Assam Inspector General of Police (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi said.
Shops and markets in Rangiya opened this morning after relaxation of the curfew.
He said police and security forces were maintaining strict vigil in Rangiya and other other trouble-torn areas of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa districts.
Bishnoi said police fired rubber bullets yesterday evening at Tamulpur in Baksa district to control a mob that was attempting to break into Tamulpur police station.
The mob had gathered there to protest against detention of around 65 people who were allegedly involved in burning a car, whose driver remained untraced, on the night of August 15.
Some persons in Rangiya had yesterday blocked NH 31 and set on fire a bus and a wooden bridge.
Meanwhile, Bajrang Dal has given a 12-hour bandh call in Chirang, Baksa and Kamrup Rural district tomorrow to protest against the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH