Fresh killing in Kokrajhar, toll mounts to 78
Kokrajhar: Violence returned to Kokrajhar town tonight with the killing of one person, taking the toll to 78 in the clashes that started in Assam`s communally-sensitive districts since late last month.
Police said unidentified miscreants riding a motorcycle fired at the owner of a pharmacy shop at Pandarchowa under Salakati police station at about 7:30 PM.
The assailants fled after the killing and the police launched the hunt to arrest them, the sources said.
Curfew in Rangiya sub-division of Kamrup Rural district was relaxed today as no incident of violence was reported there.
"Curfew was relaxed in Rangiya from 9 AM to 3 PM. The situation is under control," Assam Inspector General of Police (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi said.
Shops and markets in Rangiya opened this morning after relaxation of the curfew.
He said police and security forces were maintaining strict vigil in Rangiya and other other trouble-torn areas of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa districts.
Bishnoi said police fired rubber bullets yesterday evening at Tamulpur in Baksa district to control a mob that was attempting to break into Tamulpur police station.
The mob had gathered there to protest against detention of around 65 people who were allegedly involved in burning a car, whose driver remained untraced, on the night of August 15.
Some persons in Rangiya had yesterday blocked NH 31 and set on fire a bus and a wooden bridge.
Meanwhile, Bajrang Dal has given a 12-hour bandh call in Chirang, Baksa and Kamrup Rural district tomorrow to protest against the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today
- 'Mirzya': Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra thanks Salman Khan, sends best wishes for 'Sultan'
- Zardari urges US to support sale of F-16 jets to Pakistan
- Gulbarga ragging case: 3 arrested, 2 sent to 14-day judicial custody