Fresh violence in lower Assam, one person killed, 2 injured
Dhubri/Kokrajhar: Fresh incidents of violence on Sunday rocked strife-torn Lower Assam districts leaving one person dead in Dhubri and two injured in Kokrajhar even as protestors blocked a national highway in the state.
Police said that a body with injury marks was found in Sukhanjora village under the Bogribari police station area in Dhubri district this morning, taking the toll in the violence since July 19 to 87.
The person, who was killed, was missing since yesterday. As the news of the recovery of the body spread, angry protestors blocked the NH-31 at Matrijhora. The police later took the body for postmortem and the blockade was lifted.
Two persons, including a woman, were attacked by unidentified miscreants near Salakati railway station in Kokrajhar district, police said. The injured have been admitted to Bongaigaon Civil Hospital.
After a brief lull, violence had returned to Chirang district last evening when bodies of six persons, all relief camp inmates of Rajpara, were foumd at Amguri Bazar.
In Kokrajhar, curfew was relaxed from 4 AM to 9 PM, following which the Bodoland Peoples` Front (BPF) suspended its indefinite bandh which it had called in protest against the arrest of its Kokrajhar (West) MLA Pradip Brahma for allegedly inciting riots.
Night curfew was, however, continuing in the troubled districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri and the army carried out patrol of the sensitive areas in these districts.
Violence has hit the Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts and Dhubri since July 19. More than four lakh people had taken shelter in relief camps at the peak of violence and, at present, there are nearly 2.5 lakh inmates in 222 relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes