Fresh wave of floods in Assam
Lakhimpur: At least 60 villages with a population of over 70,000 have been affected by fresh wave of floods in this Assam district.
The water level of Singra river has been rising alarmingly in 30 villages under Naoboicha revenue circle affecting more than 40,000 people, officials said today.
The water level of Ranganadi has also been rising and inundated 30 villages under Lakhimpur revenue circle.
Lakhimpur MP Ranee Narah said the erosion problem in Majuli, the world`s largest populated river island, was also grave and she announced Rs 10 lakh for erosion and flood control from her MP development fund.
Referring to the issue of big dams, Narah pointed out that the expert committee has submitted its report to the Centre which should be made public.
Construction of big dams should be in the interest of the people, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof