Fresh wave of floods in Assam
Lakhimpur: At least 60 villages with a population of over 70,000 have been affected by fresh wave of floods in this Assam district.
The water level of Singra river has been rising alarmingly in 30 villages under Naoboicha revenue circle affecting more than 40,000 people, officials said today.
The water level of Ranganadi has also been rising and inundated 30 villages under Lakhimpur revenue circle.
Lakhimpur MP Ranee Narah said the erosion problem in Majuli, the world`s largest populated river island, was also grave and she announced Rs 10 lakh for erosion and flood control from her MP development fund.
Referring to the issue of big dams, Narah pointed out that the expert committee has submitted its report to the Centre which should be made public.
Construction of big dams should be in the interest of the people, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley