Fulfillment of people`s needs lead to Cong victory in Assam
Guwahati: If the development plank the
Congress rode on in the two previous elections endeared itself
to voters in Assam, the near-absence of militancy for a
considerable time made the party`s position stronger in the
2011 assembly election.
Absence of major militant violence ever since the arrest
of top NDFB and ULFA leaders, including its chairman Arabinda
Rajkhowa and others, two years ago and their participation in
the peace process were evidently given thumbs up by the voters
who elected the party to the third consecutive term.
Unlike the earlier elections since 1991 held under the
shadow of insurgent violence, the two-phased polls on April 4
and 11 were held peacefully with the major militant outfits
like the ULFA and NDFB keeping out of the democratic process
and instead engaging in peace talks with the government.
Tarun Gogoi would become only the second person in the
turbulent history of the state after Bimala Prasad Chaliha to
adorn the chief minister`s post for the third consecutive
The Congress, which had a vote share of 32.7 per cent in
the 2006 assembly polls winning 52 seats in the 126-seat
House, romped home to victory bagging 78 seats.
During the last 10 years the astute politician in Gogoi
understood the pulse of the people who want only basic
amenities for a comfortable life and concentrated on creating
His slogan `raijor podulit sarkar` (government at the
doorstep of the people) was an instant hit with the voters.
Gogoi made efforts to introduce novel pro-people
development schemes coupled with improved utilisation of funds
from the Centre and aggressively implementing its welfare
schemes during his two previous terms.
For the AGP, BJP and other parties, their campaign issue
of Congress corruption proved a failure and failed to generate
a strong anti-incumbency sentiment.
AGP`s attempts to forge a grand alliance of opposition
parties to free the state from the `corruption-ridden Congress
rule` remained a dream.
Though they had last time won 24 seats with a 25.59 per
cent vote share, this time they were reduced to just 10 seats
with their president Chandra Mohan Patowary and top leaders
The AGP could not make their connect with the people at
the grass root level and take their campaign to the voters by
using their support at the panchayat level as they had lost
the local elections during the last five years.
Though it had won the assembly elections in 1985 and
1991, the AGP has been on a downslide since 2001 when it was
drubbed in the assembly and local body elections due to, what
the voters claim, acute financial condition they pushed the
state into, rise in unprecedented militancy and lack of job
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon